-------------
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:26:53 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Oh, I can't help but say, Cut the firewall ! Or put a 3.7 or some such
> > short motor in it. I'd not go to the work of swapping just to gain the
> > FORD six...
The pre-64 American has a difficult engine compartment. It's tiny! I
added radiator overflow, a resistor for the Pertronix epoxy coil, and
had to move an overdrive relay to install a windshield washer resevoir!
No more room! It's REALLY SMALL in there.

Considering everything (engine, trans, mounts, transmissions,
rear,driveshaft, etc) I doubt I'd swap anything, I'd simply build a
195.6OHV. Pistons seem to be the only part difficult to find, and when
you include the expense and hassle of fitting non-American stuff in
there, I can't believe it's not simply easier, cheaper and more reliable
to stick with something close to stock.

This much is certain: change the motor, and you must change everything
back through the rear tires. If you want simply "stock replacement" eg.
a mild  Ford 200, you could adapt to the original rear; for much more
torque than stock the trans and rear have to go. And if it's a
Twin-Stick car, you lose a major coolness factor for the car.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"