[Amc-list] A Great AMC Week in Tucson, AZ

[Amc-list] A Great AMC Week in Tucson, AZ

My family and I were doing a bit of vacationing in Tucson, AZ this past week, and being uncharted AMC territory to me, of course I was on the prowl for Kenosha barges everywhere I went.

Managed to spot two.

The first was a forlorn-looking Pacer with an insulting larger-than-life hamburger bolted onto its nose.  It served as an advertisement for a retro diner.  The diner itself wasn't in its original spot, which I assume would have been in downtown Tucson and was relocated due to redevelopment of the inner business district.

The poor Pacer has several cracked windows, and the driver's side was out altogether.

The proprietor of the place has several other vintage cars -- they all seemed to be 56-57 Chevies -- and of course they were not quite so molested (or depressed looking) as the Pacer.  I noticed an original AMC wheelcover -- probably off the Pacer -- hanging on one of the interior walls of the diner.

My young son and I shared a milkshake while we looked aroound at the automotive decor.

The second AMC sighting was of a 66 Ambassador 2 door hardtop.

I was driving east on Broadway and happened to look over to see a light blue 2 door car.  To my eternal shame, I didn't recognize the car as an AMC on first glance -- I must be losing my AMC touch.  Anyway, eventually it did sink in that I was indeed looking at a significant piece of iron.  The next day, I was taking my two eldest kids to a visit at the Pima County Air & Space Museum, and made a two-block detour north of my intended turn onto Kolb Road, and showed the kids the "daddy car" and of course snapped a few photos.

Life is good whenever (and wherever) you have a Great AMC Day.

-- Marc Montoni

P.S.  For all of you driving brand x cars for your daily grocery getting, I think I actually can recommend a Chevrolet product for the first time in my life.  We rented a Chevy Impala (2007) for our week and a half trip, and it performed flawlessly.  We started out with a Toyota and could not fit our three kids seats in the back seat.  The rental agent had told us the 'Yota would accommodate them but when we showed them it didn't they gave us the Chevy.  We had no problem getting them in the 'Pala.  Very good power and I documented about 33 mpg on mostly highway miles, doing usually 80 mph.  The cabin was quiet and decently laid-out.  The only thing I noticed that seemed to be less-than-fully-thought-out was the center armrest/stowage compartment; my only real complaint driveability wise was the high butt making visibility backing up really... well.. nonexistent.  Not that this high tail is unique - most cars are designed that way these days.  The trunk was truly cavernous.
 What
I really don't understand, though, is why rental companies charge $20 to $30 more per day for a minivan when minivan prices are about the same as full-size cars like the Impala.