Re: [Amc-list] windshield chrome strip american / questions

Re: [Amc-list] windshield chrome strip american / questions

I put a new windshield gasket in my 68 five years ago (the gasket came
from Kennedy American) and it was just like the one that came out of it
(except it wasn't all hard and nasty). That car had its windshield
replaced once before so I have no idea if the gasket was original or
not. However, I don't see any obvious differences between it and what's
in my 67 wagon and I'm pretty sure that wagon's gasket is the original.

The windshield trim held on with the clips was for sure used in 67. My
67 wagon has that style of trim and was built towards the end of October
1966.

As far as clip induced rust goes, I didn't see any signs of it on my 68.
There was a lot caused by the moron that put the previous windshield in
(BTW, clear silicon and RTV over dirt do not seal the gasket!) scraped
the paint off of the pinch weld. There was also a crack in the cowl in
the middle of the car but that was likely induced by the general lack of
front floors in the car when I got it.

The TSM is very clear about how to install the gasket. You have to use a
sealer between the glass and the gasket and then pretty much fill the
gap between the gasket and the car and install the trim before it dries.
If you mess with the trim after the sealer dries, you are likely to get
a leak at that spot.

Also, you need to use the correct sealer. The urethane stuff used on new
windshields doesn't work well. You need to use something butyl based.
Before I decided to have a glass shop install my windshield, I checked
around and there were a couple of Mustang parts places that carried the
correct sealer. 3M also still makes the stuff so anyplace that carries
3M products should be able to get it for you.

Matt

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com