[Amc-list] Brake Saga

(previously on Brake Saga - this guy is trying to fit '82 Concord disk
brakes to a  '68  Rebel SST...)

Of course, I only get to work on the car at weekends, but I can't call APD
then!  Doug at APD has sent some hoses that I think will work OK - having
overcome the "gotcha" that the  pads are slightly different inboard vs
outboard, I now haven't a clue  where the little spring clip goes.  I have
the exploded diagram from the 82 TSM (or maybe it's the parts list) but it
shows the clip just kinda floating in mid air!

I have tried a few orientations but I just can't see how it should go.

The clip I have is wire - rectangluar(ish) in shape - I'm guessing it's to
hold the pads in place, but how? and does it go on after I bolt the sliding
caliper on?

Any help gratefully received - thanks guys.