Re: [Amc-list] Lite Weight Alum. Conformable LPG Fuel Tanks

My own stroker motor is built for LPG (just need time to finish it) and I fully expect 20 mpg from my J10 cruising. Ancient LPG systems like Century lose power and economy due to their design. LPF EFI is the way to go (I'd like to do direct injection with mine, but the $$$ aren't on the board)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Lite Weight Alum. Conformable LPG Fuel Tanks
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mileage is the only drawback to alternative fuels that will burn in a standard auto engine, be it LPG, CNG, or Ethanol (meaning primarily E85). It takes more to equal the amount of power available in a gallon of gasoline. E85 is the easiest to use, especially since you can go out and buy a car equipped to run it (flex-fuel) and it doesn't matter what the exact blend of E85 to straight gasoline is (the computer adjusts for it in a flex-fuel vehicle). But even when E85 is $2.65 and gasoline $3.00 per gallon, it costs more to go the same number of miles with E-85. There's a 20-25% loss in mileage.

Now you could overcome this and build an engine to run specifically with one of the alternative fuels. Costs wouldn't be much more than a standard rebuild, and the vehicle should be cheaper to operate in the long run than on gasoline. All of those fuels will tolerate substantially higher compression ratios than gasoline engines -- that's the main alteration necessary, a higher compression ratio. The downside is you'd lose the ability to run straight gasoline. Building a specific vehicle would be okay for a commuter car provided the chosen fuel is readily available in the area, but would limit long distance travel. Of course you could always build a trailer with a large tank on it! I can see Tom driving along with a 200 gallon LPG tank in tow now...   A direct fuel line would probably be illegal, but you could always stop to transfer fuel.