Re: [Amc-list] T14 OD -T96 OD - 5 speed

-- Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I Still think a better answer is to fab the adapter plate for the late
> model Mustang 5 speed as found behind the V6 3.8 (with the ~7.87" input
> shaft), then install that - as long as you want a floor shift vs column
> shift.  Still a project I wouldn't mind doing.  After the first plate is
> figured out, they could be copied and be a great addition for the AMC
> early 6 crowd.

I agree with you 100%. Mark used this trans, right? "Everybody" says it's
too weak, but there's often a bias towards the most-biggest-always, not
always for good reason. Appropriate sizing has many advantages!

The Twin-Stick, wide-ratio, 3.77 axle is part of the magic of this car.
It's got the special console to go with that, and all the weird electric
logic. It's truly unique, two or three model years max. It's quite
surprising to drive, the car is half stodgy grandma and half 60's sports
car.

Yeah the T96 is a P.O.S. but this is probably the best use of it, ever.
Plus, I admit, it bolts in and needs no adaptation.

(But I'll give you the right to say 'I told you so!' if I'm doing all this
again in a year or two!)

> Picture a '65 American, turbo'd 196, adapted 5 speed, upgraded rear -
> either the fairly rare American AMC 20, or something else in the medium
> duty size narrowed for that application and ~3.30-3.54 ratio range.
> Would be fun and maybe affordable to drive in this new era of $3+/gallon
> gas.

I think you could do that with the common-as-dirt non-big-nut AMC15 axle.
They've got to be good for non-hole-shot 200hp. I'd pick final ratio &
tires with the 195.6 OHV for 2200rpm at 60mph, which so far has proved to
be in the middle of the motor's sweet spot.

I've never owned or even driven a turbo car, but with this oversquare thing
I would think you'd want boost at really low speeds and bypassed early. Can
a turbo be made to do that? Most I've read seems they wanna rev it to make
traditional big HP. What if you boosted it for very modest gains at 1200 -
3200 rpm? Only?

I know that doesn't impress V8 drivers, who would rightly scoff at such
silliness, but imagine the ease, drivability, mileage, coolness,
non-stress, reliability, if you already like driving AMCs smaller cars.
There's a particular aesthetic to driving smaller, lower-power sturdy cars,
you like it or you don't. Tricked out with decent handling tires, shocks,
brakes, etc, they approach sports cars in some ways. They're pretty decent
on the road with 110 - 130hp; with 180 - 200 hp they'd be tremendous! And
Rambler Mentality :-)