Re: [Amc-list] Breadbox American 440H with Twin-Stick

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tom, you need a synchronizer! It's a "dog" type with three pop-up "dogs"
> that engage first to get things at the same speed. Sounds like you're
> missing a dog! It's only a matter of time before one of the others go,
> and then the third will likely jam it in 2nd or 3rd shortly after.

Yeah, it's on it's way out... !

> The only problem with the T-150 would be the bell as far as mounting.

It's a temptin thought, the T150+OD, but no dimension is compatible with
the american! Input shaft is larger (though the right disc would fix that);
longer; TO bearing snout is larger;  retainer OD is WAY too large, the
bolts are in the way of machining it to fit the bell; wrong pilot bush
(could be fabbed). The T150 case is much fatter, and much longer. It's 12"
LONGER overall than the T96+OD! The American hump narrows down about half
way through the T150 (the T96 is small!), necessitating chopping out much
of the hump, never mind it would eliminate the console, it's a hack job.
Then the driveshaft won't fit... U-joint fiddling on the big-nut rear...
The T150 is heavier...

Some things are not meant to be!

The T96+OD absolutely fits, drop-in bolt-in, amen. I'm fine without
synchromeshed first gear. There's little reason to downshift to first. If
George Romney thought it was needed, by golly first would have been
synchromeshed!

Tomorrow I crawl under the car for the data then I'll order the basic
parts. Time to call around for a clutch too!