Re: [Amc-list] windshield squirter location on an American (now vacuum s

Re: [Amc-list] windshield squirter location on an American (now vacuum storage for wipers)

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> You hit the nail on the head Matt! When everything in a vacuum wiper
> system is up to snuff, it works great! Not as noisy as electrics either.

There is nothing inherently wrong with vacuum wipers, it's just that they
are all 30 years old! The one in my Classic, I took apart and lubed 15+
years ago, and made a new end-of-cycle valve with silicone, and it's fine
('cept no booster pump). The American just needed lube (and barely that).
In that car the hose was dried and cracked, and a mild PITA to change (goes
through the dash).

Smooth, silent, infinitely variable speed, no radio noise, and no one else
has one!

> But few people replace the motors and pumps due to overall cost. After
> finding an electric system and taking the time to install it I'm pretty
> sure the vac system is cheaper.

It's also "modern"! Some people just like that. Personally I like the
opposite when it's not a reliability/safety issue.

> The fuel pump vacuum booster is another story. Those fuel pumps are
> getting expensive too. Still, replacing both the fuel/booster pump and
> vac wiper motor together isn't going to be much more than an electric
> setup, especially considering installation time.

I've got two spares, and I dropped them off for hot tanking, and I am going
to rebuild one myself, which is pretty much changing the diaphragm. (I'll
keep the current one for a spare :-)