[Amc-list] Dual Carter YF intake for 196 OHV

[Amc-list] Dual Carter YF intake for 196 OHV

I was rummaging through my parts cache and discovered something -- my
dual carb intake for a 196!
This isn't the Offenhauser intake, which used a pair of Holley 1909
carbs, but one I made back in 1998 ( I stamped the date on the intake).
It's a half inch thick aluminum plate drilled for a pair of Carter YF
carbs. I ran two carbs from 196 flatheads that I had for parts. I had
the thing on e-bay a few years ago and someone won the bid, but only
wanted the carbs for a car that had a factory twin carb setup with YFs,
I think it was a Corvair, leaving me the plate and carb linkage (also
home made, but works!). I ran this setup for about 18 months with one
problem -- I didn't look close enough at the carbs when rebuilding and
one had a smaller jet than the other, resulting in a lean (and
susbsequently burnt!) #6 cylinder. I replaced the piston and jet and ran
the car with dual carbs for about 14 months. I then went back to the
stock 2V intake and carb. The dual carbs is great when you pop the hood,
but give no performance increase at all. They might burn a slight amount
more fuel at idle, but I don't recall any change in fuel mileage either
(over the 2V carb, would definitely be 2-3 mpg less than a 1V).

If someone's interested in it I'll let the intake and linkage go for $20
plus shipping. Shipping will be in the $10-15 range  for  Parcel Post
(estimated 6 pounds including packing material).  If anyone's interested
send me an e-mail, don't reply to the list!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"