[Amc-list] Selling my car - need advice.

[Amc-list] Selling my car - need advice.

Hi Everyone,

  I may have sold my car, but... I need a little advice from some of you who've sold cars, or other items, to folks from far away.  I have emailed back and forth for a few days with a gentleman who is interested in buying my Eagle.  I have only advertised my car on this list, to the local chapter of the AMO, and on the AMC Eagle Nest, so I am fairly sure this gentleman is at least somewhat interested in AMC Eagles.  I'm glad as I'd like the car to go to someone who likes AMCs.

  He is coming from quite a distance away, flying into a large city's airport and then taking the light rail to the closest station to me.  He has sounded serious in our emails.  I stated that I would take cash or a cashier's check for the car and he has agreed to bring a cashier's check for the amount I wanted.  So far, so good.  Now, I hate to sound naive, but I have only sold cars to folks in person or traded them to a dealer.  I have never accepted a cashier's check for anything from anyone so far...  So, how do I know that the check is "good" or "bad"?  I wouldn't accept a personal check for obvious reasons, and am pretty sure a cashier's check will be OK.  I can understand not wanting to carry a large sum of cash with me traveling some distance.  I just want to be sure I don't let my car go for a scrap of paper.

Regards,

Russell