Re: [Amc-list] old gas disposal

What I'm saying is this:  The used oil recycling
centers here in CA will accept oil with a "little" gas
mixed in because dilution of lube oil by gasoline is a
common problem especially in old cars with
carburetors.  You can legally mix it here in Cal and
the recyclers will accept it.  The mixture is still
called used oil and will go through whatever recycling
process is used to recover the oil.  In California
there is one used oil re-refiner.  I worked for that
company for five years.  As I have said on this list
before, the finished product us pure hydrocarbon and
is sold to companies to make WD-40 and to Exxon Texaco
where it is made into greases.  Used oil in much of
the rest of the country is usually blended to make
supplemental fuel for cement kilns and steel mills.

Many used oil collection centers here in CA also have
the sign up roster and they police what goes into
their tank.  A little gasoline mixed in will usually
not raise any eyebrows.  You just don't want to try to
dump a whole container of old gas.  That won't fly.
I'm a chemist by training and did not know about the
meth lab connection you mentioned.  When meth labs are
busted here in CA, the whole inventory is handled by
haz waste contractors and there would be no chance of
mixing with used oil.

Joe Fulton