Re: [Amc-list] gen to alt conversion

If you have nothing fancy in the car that is power consuming, get a 32 ampish one from your local parts store (tell them it's a '73-'76 Nova) and buy the connector for the wiring. Jumper the main terminal to the little red connector wire and find which of the original wires on your regulator turns on the dash light. That goes to the blue/white (depending on manufacturer) wire to engage the alt. You may have to add a 10 ohm resistor to keep the dashlight bulb from glowing brighter as the alt output increases. If your gen light burns out, the alt won't work (that is how the Vegas were wired when the integral alts first came out without the resistor)

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] gen to alt conversion
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

ok, i KNOW there are guys on here who have done this
conversion. my gen died, and the local repair shop
said min of $65 to repair it, thats iff the armature
isnt bad. they said they could hook me up with a
chrome chitty single wire alt for about 75-80. can i
do this myself for cheaper? and i dont know if i want
a single wire alt. and how would i go about gettin the
gen dash light to go out, that kinda blah blah blah
and all. i know it has been talked about before, but i
wasnt in need then, so didnt pay attn. DOH!!!

thanks for the help in advance guys.

dave stohler