Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive offerings.../327 Twin-Stick?

Frank said:

>As far as I've been able to determine Twin-Stick was AMC unique. I've got books on other cars but no one else seems to have "split shifted" the OD units, not from the factory.
>
>There were V-8s with Twin-Stick, at least in 65 and 66.

Remember to do your fact checking!  The Twin-stick was offered in 64.

Couple of decades ago, I was really close to getting an original 64 Ambassador 2 dr ht with the 327 4v, Twin Stick, Twin Grip, AM/FM/reverb factory in-dash AC, electric windows, power brakes, Tissue Dispenser and bucket seats -- even had the OEM throw pillows in the back seat.  Told the place I wanted it, gave them a deposit, came back up the next weekend with a tow dolly, and the entire row had been crushed -- in a junkyard that never crushes anything.  I went and looked at the pile of crushed cars, found the dead, very short Ambo, and just about cried.

I believe there were several other cars that had a similar setup.  I seem to recall that a 1980's Plymouth Arrow had a twin-stick setup!  But I think there were some other 60's cars that offered them.  They're all rare, no matter the manufacturer.

Philbates Auto Parts in West Point, VA, had a 66 American with the six and twin stick.  About twenty years ago, anyway.

Wayne E LaMothe said:

>I hate to differ, but 65 was the last year of the twin stick. In 66 they
>went to the 4 speed. The earliest twin stick I have seen is a 63. They
>may be earlier but I once drove a 63 American with a twin stick so that
>is all I can vouch for.

All of this is documented in the Standard Catalog of American Motors.  1963 was the first year for Twin Stick.  The prior year, the fancy offering was the E-stick automatic clutch option for the three speed manuals, with or without O/D.

1965 was the last *official* year for the Twin-Stick; however, there were a few early production **V8** 1966 big cars (Classic/Ambassador) that were ordered with Twin Stick.  The four-speed for the V8's was delayed by a few weeks.  Customers could still order a Twin-Stick in a six cylinder large car throughout the model year.

Also, as stated above there were Twin-Stick 66 Americans.

The six was not offered with the 4 speed.  The 'Merikesh kept the Twin-Stick option until the 290's came out late in the year.

-- Marc