Re: [Amc-list] Another One Saved Hopefully

Re: [Amc-list] Another One Saved Hopefully

Here's what I know so far:

The motor in this car appears to have had a very fresh
rebuild prior to retirement of the car. There is no
cylinder wall wear detectable with a fingernail, but
I'll measure.  I have a bore gauge and need to learn
how to use it. Since the cylinders are rusty (The barn
roof leaked adn water got in through the open valves.)
I probably won't reuse this block. I only got 11
pushrods with the motor so perhaps there was one bent
that Joe G. didn't give me.  I'll ask today.  I think
he monitors the list so he may chime in.  That could
have been the reason the car was parked.

The motor was bored to .060 and if I can get the
pistons out without damaging them, I may get the .040
block bored one more time and use the .060 pistons.  I
haven't looked a the bearings yet but will probably go
with new bearings unless my cat needs veterinary care
or I have an attack of Rambler mentality or some other
unexpected expenses come up.

The cylinder head is very clean and the rockers appear
snug but movable on the shaft, so a valve job and
rocker shaft rehab/replacement were probably done when
the motor was done.  The intake valves have a good
margin but the exhaust valves are recessed "a little"
more into the head so perhaps they were reused.

The oil was very dirty....typical of an old lady car I
think.  No sign of water though.

Joe Fulton