[Amc-list] choke heat tube mystery solved

[Amc-list] choke heat tube mystery solved

I'm getting the 68 Rambler 232 back on the road after a year in a Burbank parking lot while I was moving and traveling.  The battery didn't make it, (it was a 1999 date code) the gas was a little stale, and the water pump lost its seal, but other than that it survived okay.
I always had trouble with the choke not opening up so I had it set to full open and I would shut it manually to start the car.  Today I took the heat tube off, cleaned it, cleaned the heat tube in the exhaust manifold, reassembled and tried again.  No luck, the thing just would not heat up.  Then, while blowing air through the heat tube fitting on the carb, I noticed air was coming out from around the choke housing.  When the car starts, the carb draws air through the choke housing and then the heat tube.  This air movement is what brings exhaust heat up to the choke coil.  If the choke coil cover isn't on airtight, air is drawn in from around the cover instead of all the way through the tube, and then there's no heat.  I cut an extra gasket for the cover and used some sealer and tried again.  It heated up and the choke opened correctly.
I had been living with the problem for awhile.  Years?
I've been working through a lot of problems like this this week.
It's amazing what one will put up with and for how long.