Re: [Amc-list] Looking for Rustproofing Advice

Re: [Amc-list] Looking for Rustproofing Advice

" From: DonMcCPA@xxxxxxx
"
" I'm in the Midwest rustbelt and am restoring a rust-free car from Nevada (it
" was deep-dipped, ya know).   Any suggestions on rustproofing services would
" be appreciated.  I've heard good things about POR-15, but I'm not sure what
" shops use it.

you apply it yourself.

i haven't heard such great things about it, though.  it's very hard
and hard to paint over, and if you don't prep properly it continues to
rust underneath.

if you do prep properly, you can use anything.

if your car really is rustfree now, probably all you need is pressure
washing to blow hardened crusty undercoating off, then new rubberized
undercoating.

what i've looked at:

for rusty areas that won't be painted - some combo of pressure washing
and wire brushing to remove loose stuff, then one of those milky things
that brush or spray on white and then turn black, followed by something
like rubberized undercoating.  nb. the milky stuff -needs- rust to
work; it won't turn black on clean metal, but it turns iron oxide into
an inert barrier material.  i'd use this inside doors and fenders etc.
as well as the underside.

for areas that will be painted or welded - a phosphoric acid wash like
phosphoric plus or picklex-20, followed by the welding, followed by
another wash, then epoxy primer.  i've seen epoxy primers containing
zinc phosphate, but for building steel; i don't know how they'd take
auto body paint.  phosphoric acid dissplves iron oxide and leaves a
thin layer of iron phosphate, which looks like bare metal but is dull
instead of shiny; it also resists corrosion.  for welds that won't be
painted, eg. floor pans, an alternative to epoxy primer would be a
zinc loaded paint like zrc, followed by rubberized undercoating inside
and out.

for rustproofing in places you can't easily reach, sure seal has 'acm'
[anti corrosion material] and 3m has rustfighter-1, both of which are
supposed to be sticky waxy liquids you spray with wands in hard-to-
reach areas like frame rails and door pillars.

i haven't actually used any of these.