Re: [Amc-list] clutch questions

-- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i downshift all the time!  i never rush it and i almost always rev the
> engine to match speed at least approximately, not things drivers today
> are used to i'll grant.

AHA! Yeah, the "never rush it" part I think is what breaks these things! It
is SLOOOOW to shift! It's so slow that, as I accellerate, 1, ... 2, ... 3,
... drivers behind me occasionally almost crash into me in the lurch
between 1st and 2nd. (It's a little bit interesting how much people
anticipate your rate-of-accelleration.)

It takes pretty much a full second or more to upshift. The trans isn't bad,
this shifter is dumb and simple but it's not broke. All the slots are
definite. It's just slow!!

Shifting is actually the slowest thing about this car, by far. Performance
is surprisingly good, I don't know why I get all these warnings about how
slow this car is!

OHV, 2bbl, twin-stick and 3.77 axle sure helps. My '59 with L-Head and auto
sure was slow!

(I momentarily contemplated putting the T150+OD in there... the trans alone
is like 9" longer! Didn't even check fatness, likely it won't go for a
number of reasons.)