Re: [Amc-list] 727 Shifter shaft seal replacement

Re: [Amc-list] 727 Shifter shaft seal replacement

I changed the one in my Javelin's 998 tranny a few months ago and it
wasn't too bad.

You do have to have the pan off, because you'll have to drop the shifter
shaft out from the bottom. The PITA of the job is removing the kickdown
bracket and shifter brackets from the shafts. This is VERY difficult to
do if the parts have never been off and the tranny is still in the car.
At the least you'll probably have to drop the crossmember and let the
tranny drop for access.  (The 998 is almost impossible to access in the
car, I imagine the 727 is worse since it's bigger).

I had my tranny out to replace the front seal when I did this, so it
wasn't too hard to change the shifter seal. I just used a screwdriver to
knock out the old seal and then tapped the new one in place. There is a
seal installer/remover just for the Mopar shift shaft seal, which may
make this deal easier.

I can't remember if I had to loosen the valve body to get the shifter
shaft out, but I want to say the shaft came out OK without that. Don't
hold me to that, though.

Either way, changing that seal isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Good luck,
Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee