[Amc-list] Driving instead of wrenching

I've been DRIVING the little American all weekend, not just WRENCHING it.
What a fun car! I guess I like small cars, cuz this thing is small. Parks
anywhere.

Shifting the T-96 in 2007 Los Angeles is a challenge, and I get a lot of
a**hole SUVers behind me, blacked out windows, cellphone clamped under
their ear pull out and zoom by me; sometimes I wave with less than all my
fingers. Often when I'm actually not even in their way, they just assume I
will be (sometimes it's true).

The carb flat spot/hesitation right off idle is a PITA. I'll fix that.

I did change the trans oil, surprise, it stopped hemmoraging. It also got a
lot easier to get into first gear, but 3 to 2 begins to grind slightly.
(Went from 10W-30 to 90W-140!)

I got a Pertronix module some weeks ago, stuffed it into the rebuild
distrib I got from eBay (after fully disassembling it to remove all the old
dried grease and re-lube). I also seat-of-the-pants recurved it (soft
advance springs).

Pertronix did their homework; I aligned it by eye physically to match the
old points distrib, and it started right up, and was within 4 - 5 degrees
of correct. Set to about 8BTDC for now.

I bought their epoxy coil, but one change at a time. I got a 1.5 ohm coil,
should have got a 3 ohm, but I'll add a 1 ohm resistor.

First manual trans car I've driven in many years, I have to learn smooth
shifting all over again, but other than N to 1st to 2nd after a light, very
easy to drive.

Did 20 miles of highway yesterday, ran great. 65mph is fine, in OD, even in
OD it kept up with LA's Golden State Freewway traffic. I've been very easy
on the engine, rev no higher than 3000 for now, easy on the slippy clutch,
etc, but it's got adequate power to get around just fine.