Re: [Amc-list] Eagle door handle

-- Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Seems to be common in cold weather. (Happened to the previous owner of my
> '82 Spirit so I have used at least 2 of my spares and don't know where
> the  others are right now) I don't have a place to work on it, but I
> designed a  stainless steel replacement paddle that should be easily
> salable to the Jeep  crowd as well (It's the same handle as the tailgate
> on YJs and I would make  it reversible to work on either side. I was
> shocked to find no-one carried  them in any hardware book!)

The door hinge design on 70-up truly sucks rocks. It's terrible. It's so
bad it detracts from the chassis overall. Contrast with early 60's door
hinges that last 30+ years without sagging.

On my first '70 Hornet I made huge solid hinge pivots by welding in 7/16"
diam. nuts then through-drilling for 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The door on my
current '70 hornet is probably gonna get the same thing. Plus drilled for a
zerk each.