[Amc-list] Low-buck quartz clock conversion

[Amc-list] Low-buck quartz clock conversion

When doing Project Hornet, I wanted to add a factory clock but I wanted
it to be reliable and accurate. Having done a couple of conversions in
the past, I knew what to look for and it worked great.

What I did was obtain the factory Hornet dash clock, which of course was
dead. I went to the local Pull a Part junkyard and grabbed a factory
dash clock from a 1985 Cougar which was a quartz movement to begin with.
The inner workings of the Cougar clock are virtually identical to the
inner workings of the Hornet clock. The clock movement mounts in the
same way and is a direct fit with the sole exception of having to redo
the wiring to adapt it to the Hornet housing. Reinstalled the Hornet
clock hands and hooked it up to 12V-voila! Quartz conversion for the
grand total of about $6 and about a half hour of work. Installed it in
the car and aside from the usual quartz wackiness when voltage is first
applied the clock started running and kept absolutely perfect time as
long as we had the car.

I've done swaps like this in the past using Fairmont clocks, Cougar
clocks, LTDs, etc. Essentially it has to have an analog face but it will
have "quartz" on the face. While it is possible to get a dud donor
clock, most of the ones I've used have worked great. I've found that
Fords are the donor of choice-GM and Chrysler both went to digital
clocks and didn't go the analog quartz way.

Hm, maybe I ought to do another conversion and make it a tech
article....

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee