[Amc-list] Crankshaft Oiling - Rod Bearing 'Oil Reservoirs' -

From: "Ron Waters" <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] AMC OILING - question -
To: <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,	"AMC/Rambler owners,drivers and fans."
	<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why not use Federal Mogul main bearings and they will oil all the time??

Ron Waters
ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<>

Ron, I keep reading Federal Mogul and Clevite are now one of the same.

You're referring to the 'Full Circle' main
bearings - the oil groove being on the thrust
side as well ?

On builds I'm reading - the preference of
having a full width bearing surface
on the thrust side is being chosen simply
because having the 'Full Circle' groove effectively
reduces your load capacity by half.

Oil Squirt HOles

Calls to their Tech confirmed that removing the
'squirt holes' from the rod bearings was done as
a cost cutting decision - along with only offering
their standard bearing for AMC - not their two
other grades listed for 'The Big 3'.

They believe the oil squirt holes were a carry
over from the early 1950 engine designs -
requiring extra cylinder wall oiling.

Crankshaft:

I'd choose to have the crankshaft cross drilled
before using a 'Full Circle' bearing.

That would necessitate upgrading the pump and
installing the valley oil line feed to restore
pressure lost in 90* turns, lifter bore leakage,
which should be done during a rebuild if possible.

One 'Other' idea could be done during a rebuild:

Rifle bore the crankshaft throws - remove excess weight
while creating an 'Oil Reservoir' when bores are 'capped off'
on either side of the throw.

This will provide oil to the rod bearing regardless of flow
pressure intermittency during normal operation.

For Racing - add an Oil Pressure Loss Ignition kill switch.

You'll still have rod bearing oiling at time of loss and
spin down - perhaps saving the crankshaft.

--

                  Brien
            NEW YORK