Re: [Amc-list] RE; Borg Warner T-5 manual transmission

From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The T-5 in my 70 Javelin shifts very crisply, with very short throws (B&M
> pro-shifter). I'm still learning how to shift it clutchless style, up shifts
> seem a bit stiff when not using clutch, downshifts won't go at all until rpm
> is matched as usual......shifting the T-5 when under near full throttle
> acceleration is akin to shifting a Muncie 4 speed with a Mr. Gasket vertical
> gate shifter. Meaning easy smooth and very quick. I can't say how much the
> Redline ATF is contributing to this, but I will say that Bob Hanlon's T-5
> rebuild video and parts from Hanlon made all the difference..........along
> with the B&M pro-stick.
>
> Mark is your AX15 a rebuilt done by you or someone else or is it factory
> assembled? I would guess you probably don't throw that Cherokee around much
> but does it speed shift nicely, downshift, etc?? I've never driven anything
> with an AX15 in it. Do you off road the Cherokee?? How does that AX15 take
> that work??
> Armand

Armand,
  The Ax15 has never been a big favorite of mine.
This is the second one I've owned. They are "notchy" shifting, akin to truck tranny.
I've not tried an aftermarket shifter on one, if one worked as my Hurst on my NV3500 does, I'll pass!
The AX15 is generally o good trans that holds up well. Gears pread is poor for a car. It will work though.
I've never tried to clutchless shift it. It's my wifes and she would kill me if I broke it! Offroading is not high on my current activity level. too much jostling around to be comforatble. My firstone held up fine and I towed some nasty way heavy stuff with it!
   My 65 Convertible was towed 200miles, it was BACKED onto the dolly and had the top down as it was shot. Talk about wind resistance! I also towed, boats, American and Hornet part cars with it. Never had a problem. They are tough. I don't beat my trannies either though.
   I have a PRO 5.0 shifter on my  AMC T5 and it is night and day better then the hurst, could be the NV3500 too though.
--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV