Re: [Amc-list] Re; A front suspension idea!

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I honestly do not see a big need for this either.... Most likely the cars
that need something
> done are the early cars that no longer have the correct strut bushings
> available. Something that is not addresed by this thread

Yeah, a year or two ao I was chattin off-line with a lister (now off-list I
believe) (can't recall his name... brain fade... it will occur to me) about
producin such a thing.

It's realyl simple -- a modern-style strut rod that fits 63-64
classic/ambo. It's easy; threads for 6" or so on straight wire rod instead
of that odd forged/swaged thing. What makes 63-64 different from 65-up is
the angle at the lower arm end. That's all!

The problem is that even there, there's probably a market for 100 units
total.

I asked the list more than once 'what are people doing for replacement
strut bushings on 63, 64 classic/ambos' and got zero answers, which I assum
emeans people aren't driving those, or are driving on bad suspensions!

Frank welded the threaded portion of a new part onto the other end of an
old part; but most people are not pro welders! The fab the real part from
stock would be simple; length of wire rod; heat/bend the end, drill two
holes (a trivial jig would help); run a die down the other end. Done!