Re: [Amc-list] On an AMERICAN?? This big? They are airlinertires........

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What year book do you have?
> AMC used a vile smelling liquid that was thicker then auto trans fluid.
> The aftermarket and rebuilt shops spec 70W-90 in non world class
> transmissions. The gears ride directly on the shaft and atf is not thick
> enough to support them and will tear the shafts up over time. I actualy
> have Mobile one 15w-50 Mobile one Synthetic in my non world class trans.
> I admit I don't know if it sufficient for protection, but it has been
> working fine so far.

Funny, as I just looked at what my American's old T96 wants for juice --
gear oil, or 10w-30! It specifically states DO NOT USE extreme pressure
lubes. it ran OK with no noises, but I'll check levels before I drive it
much.

I would think that all other things being equal, I'd go with the
less-viscous fluid. Less heat. Film strength doesn't necessarily track
fluid thickness. Film strength probably tracks expense better than
viscosity!

I've not owned and maintained a lot of manual transmissions. Autos you just
RTFM and pour. Axles, same thing.