Re: [Amc-list] Rust (is insidious!)

Some of the sealers used to be a wax based product. Basically anything that will seal moisture and air away from metal works to prevent rust. Paint will, but it can't be porous in any way, and it scratches. You have to have enough on also. On the inside of parts any non-porous coating will likely prevent or slow rust -- it's just getting paint in there and keeping moisture out that's the problem! If there's a way for moisture and dirt to get in, the dirt will sit there and hold the moisture, causing spots to rust out. That's why it's important to make sure all the door (and other panel) drain holes are clear. They aren't very big from the factory, and will clog. I usually make them a bit bigger when working on a car, and have added some when necessary. Just letting air in will allow moisture to dry out!

----------------------------
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:11:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

sure seal has 'acm' [anti corrosion material] that you're supposed to
spray on door insides etc, and it comes with wands to help you reach
nooks like rocker and frame channel insides.

i don't know what's actually in it.  it'd be good if it was some sort
of rust converter/preventer.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"