Re: [Amc-list] Re; A bunch of stuff, one e-mail covers all.

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The American I run about 30 pis in the 255/60/15 rears
> and about 32 in the fronts, seems to be about right. The stockers on the
> newer cars all seem to me to be aimed at ride comfort, period. On these
> windy roads running that presure usually means loosing the tread on the
> outer edges of the tires in no time flat...

My Hornet's got pretty much exactly the factory size "heavy duty" tire, I
forget the bias size, but it translated to 205/70-R14. 32/32 or 34/34 is
pretty close for me. Mileage and wear matter most on this car.

There's a trick corner on my way to work, weird reverse camber and terrible
surface, the rear of the Hornet just hates it; it hops like crazy on the
hard tires, and I really have to crank the wheel to overcompensate for the
understeer, and all that follows. 28- 26 psi rear would probably fix that!
Oddly the 63 Classic, the exact opposite of a SOLO II car, I can toss
through that same corner as fast or faster. The tanker weight of the axle
may simply be unable to move up and down fast enough!