Re: [Amc-list] Re; A bunch of stuff, one e-mail covers all.

-- John Elle <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Obligatory AMC content, the
> Gremlin was just the opposite, it would plow through corners like a
> berserk '47 DeSoto. As this was the day of the load range B bias belted
> tires, using inflation pressures recommended to tire sizes and the weight
> carried, the front tires would work well at about 30#, the back ones at
> about 20# and if you had a good set of shocks you could warp it through
> the twisties with the best of them.

Yeah, you can do a lot of good (and bad) with simply tire pressure! It's
like a big open secret. You're right about Americans not ever looking at
their tires. 28 psi front and rear from some stupid tire shop and AMC
products mush and waddle around the road. I think that is some genetic
memory from the bias ply days.

Back when I was autocrossing, we'd blow them up to near 50 psi to get
things untangled, and adjust from there. My Gremlin (304, auto) also liked
hard fronts and soft rears, the soft rear helped minimize the truck like
understeer built into the car. My Hornet would probably like it too, but I
keep front and rears at 32 - 34 psi for war purposes (100 mi a a day
commute...)

I really (genuinely) look forward to fiddling the American's primitive but
clean suspension. I'm hoping that 215/60-15's will fit (the smallest 26"
tire that I can get white lettered!). I guess I've given up the idea of
super-skinny tires, though I might end up half-way back that direction
depending on what fits.