[Amc-list] And Speaking of Tires

Ahwhile back there was a thread extolling the virtues of one brand of tire
over others and given that most of that is personal preference and charged
with emotion rather than much in the way of measurable performance
comparisons I have found over the last couple of years that with the
multitude of big hoop tires and their popularity many tire companies are
backing away from some of what use to be garden variety sizes or performance
sized tires that used to be popular back in the day when muscle cars flexed
their muscles rather than joined the automotive equivalent a "socially
acceptable" gym and are limiting the sizes they manufacture while others are
specializing in niche markets. These leaves the Goodyear Store "or pick your
own personal preference brand such as Fisk or what ever" to display about 10
different makes of tires some that you have never heard of from countries
you may not have heard of to select from. Required if you want a certain
size that is no longer overly popular. I have just purchased my 2nd pair of
Hankook tires to be mounted on the front of my car, this time my T&C and
last time my Saturn. These are made in Korea and have some form of an
all-weather tread bordering on a performance oriented design. I thought that
the first set was out of the ordinary as they seemed to "feel" really good
on the car. All cars feel good with new tires anyway, but these felt
exceptionally good! At least on the Saturn. As Hankook was the only tire in
stock that fit the front of my T&C and I was basically satisfied with them
on the Saturn, I had the Kellys I had previously purchased moved to the back
and put on a new set of Hankook tires. Once again these things were superior
in feel even compared to my new Kelly tires of which I had not complaints
with at all. They were no longer being made and my Good Year Store had non
in stock and could not get anymore.

So in the for-what-it-is-worth department. These Hankook tires sure seem to
be worth the money I have spent for them twice and I will probably buy some
more of them if I can get them in the size I need. And they were not an
expensive tire.

John.