[Amc-list] Re; tire Balance

SNIP

I had the same question when reading the original posts about this process,

and have been waiting for more information.  Can someone who has used this

process in the past please clarify whether the total weight is placed at 12

o'clock or 6 o'clock?

SNIP

I am not sure what the original author of the clock reference meant when
this was posted, but my guess something to do with where the bubble ended up
when you balance a tire using a bubble balance. This is the same type of
approach I used for many years with a bubble balance myself for years and
found to be quite a bit better then the spin balancer machines "back in the
day"

You identified the light side of the tire. This is easy, directly opposite
the heavy side and inline with the bubble. You then took 4 weights that were
about the equivalent of the 1 weight used to balance out the tire. Then they
were located about 30 degrees + and - the heavy point and on opposite sides
of the wheel. You then tailored them to balance the tire out and also moved
them a bit to one side or another to get a good balance. While today's
machines are very good back in the day you could get a very smooth running
tire using this method. And it seemed to pretty much take care of a wobble
factor that may have existed. Yuh, it averaged things out where todays spin
machines can pin point it, but back in the day, this worked better and I can
still use it using a cheap Harbor Freight bubble balance machine.

You could do the same thing by mounting a tire on a front spindle and back
the brakes out or easier with disc brakes move them away from the rotor.
Heavy side is down. When balanced you could put the wheel anywhere and it
would not turn due to gravity.

John.