[Amc-list] Off topic: 1990 GMC question

I may have an opportunity to get a 1990 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 that has engine problems. The owner said he sent a guy that was going to buy it to take it through emissions and told him if it didn't pass bring it back and he would get it fixed. Well, the guy pulled the valve covers and loosened the valves, his reasoning was that if the valves were loose they wouldn't open as far and therefore would let less stuff through so it would pass. The owner said it ruined the cam shaft. He said it still runs but not very well and he said it needs an engine. I haven't seen the truck yet. Could loosening the valves ruin the camshaft? Any other problem I should check for? If the cam shaft is bad couldn't I just put a new camshaft set in it?

By the way, he is offering this truck for free and he just put in a whole new clutch kit and new brakes all around before the guy messed with the engine. It has a manual 5 speed with a 350.

Jamie Smith
Spokane, WA
oconner51@xxxxxxxxxxx<about:blank>
1966 Rambler American 220 Station Wagon