Re: [Amc-list] noisy after rebuild

Well I think I found the problem. I should have checked when I took it apart the second time, but I found that I have .000 to .010 lifter preload. .020 to .040 is recommended by comp cams. This is with the new cam and lifters installed. I havn't tried to run it yet, and I don't want to break in the cam with the preload so slight.

This small amount of preload makes the nonrotating lifters I have before even worse. They should have had an easier time rotating with so little pressure.

Anyway, my pushrods average 9.419" long, so I need new longer ones. The problem is that I can only find them in 9.315" (too short), and 9.500" (too long creating about .090 preload). According to what I've found so far, a stock pushrod is 9.414" long and doesn't do me any good.

So, is it a bad idea to have .090 preload?

Should I get the 9.500" pushrods, and shim the rocker shaft?

The rockers look really good. There is hardly any wear from what I can tell. I know new ones could possibly resolve the problem, but I'm fairly certain I would still end up with too little preload.

Andy