Re: [Amc-list] OHV 195.6 Stuff

,>From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] OHV 195.6 Stuff
Judging from the marks on top of the pistons, they
have been bored .040 oversize.  How far oversize can
you bore a 196?  And can you get pistons for .060
oversize?

I have a '64 195.6 OHV I rebuilt some 5 or more yrs ago; it is still sitting on the stand as I had bigger problems related to that project and has stalled.

This engine was well-used; I sourced it out of a '64 330 Wagon. I went .060 on the pistons, and .020/.020 rods/mains. At the time, I had a good machine shop that didn't mind doing the oddball stuff (they've since gone out of business) and they found the bearings and pistons for me. I remember them saying that these were the "last set of pistons and bearings" in the country.

Whether that's true or not, .060's were made and a stock item at one time, so talking to Egge or someone similar might turn them up. IIRC, my pistons were made by Badger (sp?) and are cast.

Hope this helps!

Jim Boone
Mims, FL

PS; I'd still like to do a turbo'd 195.6 with a 5 sp in a '64/5 American!! Still wouldn't get BIG power, but if you did it right, taking into account the low rpm charector of this engine and sized the turbo accordingly, plus be resourceful with your fabrication skills, I think it would make a unique and fun engine/combo...