[Amc-list] Shifter thoughts and mpg

I would like to report my experiences with almost $400 in shifters this summer.
That's only two shifters in 2007 dollars!
The two in question?

   A 391-0155 Hurst in my 01 Dakota, It shifts stiff,doesn't center to the 3-4 gate on it's own well and is generally just barely an OK shifter. It transmits noise as it uses a steel ball in the transmission socket with no nylon so wear and noise are a concern. I would not recomend it.

   A Pro 5.0 shifter designed for a 82-93 Camaro T5 installed on my 82 AMC t5 with a different stick. It shifts smooth as butter, third gear is achieved by pushing forward with the palm of your hand everytime. It self centers and is just generally an absolute joy to use, even with my bum shoulder! It uses the factory nylon bushing and is almost as quiet as the stock shifter was! I love it, GO 5.0!!!

MPG report, first tank this summer.
21.6 mpg with a lot of idling and test driving, about half highway. not as good as I imagined, but no sense in lying about it! I think it'll do somewhat better if I do less fiddling and more driving!
  Besides, The 98 Altima only gets 22 in town since its loaded with leather and a rear deck spoiler and sunroof! The Rambler runs circles around it too!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV