Re: [Amc-list] cam or what

On Friday 07 September 2007 23:08:25 John Elle wrote:

> When
> we all caravanned to St. louis Eric (the Black Pacer) and I had just gotten
> our rebuild 258's running and they were identical including the Iskenderian
> Cam and you had that 304 Gremlin with an RV cam as I recall and were sort
> of mumbling that the V8 would not twist too tight.

Yeah, I remember you six-cyl SOBs giving me a run for my money at the highway
speeds you were going! I did that 304 all wrong. I made the heads flow then
put the wrong cam and axle in it. Dumb.

When I bought the current 258 from Mark, he'd got it from a Jeep friend who
started to build a hot 258 then abandoned it, gave it to Mark. I bought it
from him, he said it had a "hot cam". When I got it installed and worked out
and found it idled at 600 rpm silently with high vacuum I assumed that
the "hot" cam was... "stock". I guess it's not. I wish I knew what it was so
I could repeat it! It gets good mileage yet goes like hell.

> had to pass Arizona Smog but with the Isky cam
> selected it was a walk in the park but still they would wind out in the
> manner you described even using a BBD 2bl carburetor. A YF is not that much
> smaller and should pretty much run the same way but would limit upper rpms
> as it would just run out of carburetor.

Weber 32/36 DGEV is about perfect, both in numbers and seat of the pants.

> With the BBD I had WOT
> 2/3 shift set for 4000 rpm which worked real well, but with FI Ic could set
> it for about 4200 or 4300 which is 75mph and the back end will kick
> sideways when it shifts hard, it uses up ALL of the slop in the rear
> springs etc. John

OK I'm a convert. What cam did you install?