[Amc-list] 343 rebuild tips

Message: 11
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:53:16 -0500
From: "Greg DePratt" <gdepratt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] 343 rebuild tips

It's been a while since I've been on the list.  My 68 Javelin has been
shelved for a while with a very tired and leaky 343 while I have been
building a new house.  Now the house is finally done and I have had some
time to think about getting the engine rebuilt.  I am still short on time
with a job in IT and computer work on the side so I am paying my brother to
rebuild the engine for me.  He is a much better mechanic than I am and has a
better shop than I do..Anyways. I'm looking for a good source for new
pistons and other parts for the 343 engine.  By the way, when he tore it
down apparently it is an all original engine, still had all the factory
gaskets..Also any helpful tips on things that you all think I should have
done while it is all apart would be very much appreciated.  I will be using
it as a daily driver to/from work about 20 miles round trip and I would like
to get decent mileage.  However, if I could improve on the performance some
that would be nice also..  Thanks.

Greg DePratt

68 Javelin SST 343

===.===

This isn't your Grandfathers Oldsmobile....

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/

Go there - join -  and read up on AMC oiling system mods.

Take a week of dedicated reading - 'save text to file'
Firefox Add On really helps during this phase.

You can then pass the file to your Brother to read.

Plenty of detailed 'Build' information outlining
just the type of engine you seek.

Plenty of detailed information on troubles with
purchasing new bearings - lack of oiling holes etc.

Check lifter bores for 'egging' -

You can find the paint that is used on windings
and insides of electric
motors & use that to paint the interior of the
cyl. block once it has been prepped & oil drain
back holes drilled.

Depending on your 'Budget' - CRANE Cams has a
'Hydraulic Roller Lifter Camshaft Kit' that greatly
improves everything.  I would consider waiting and
obtaining this kit for your build.

Get an Edelbrock Carb / Intake combo.

Have the shop 'dial in' your new valve spring pressures
and heigths.

Degrease / Hot Tank to clean out the water passages.

Get a brush kit to clean out the oil galleries.

You want the block bored with a Torque Plate
and honed with a Torque Plate.

Speed Machine Shops that cater to JEEP builders
usually have a 304 / 360 Torque Plate so
ask around on Bulltear Forum.

A really good Machine Shop that comes
recommended is worth the few shipping bucks -
over using 'Clydes Reshoing Service' locally...
strap it to a wood pallat and send it to
the right place.

Keith Black / Silvolite has pistons.

If you only need .010"  don't buy .030"
as thicker cylinder walls Trump big holes.

Have the Speed Shop - 'Lighten and Balance'
everything > this is well worth the monies to bring
the engine a wonderful 'Feel' .

If you're going to assemble the engine and immediatly
put it in the car and run it:

Don't oil the cylinder walls or ring to wall surfaces.

Pistons should have a Moly coating on the skirts -
oil the wrist pins - assemble - dab of oil on the
skirts.

Your ring pak will seat in properly this way.

Fire the engine and run it up to 2200 RPM -
for 15 minutes.

If the engine will be stored -  I'd wait to
as everything has to be 'greased' to prevent
rust and disassembled to clean prior to assembly.

--

                            ___
        =Bt=              /~   ~\
  milnersXcoupe          |_      |
   "The Heretic"         |/     __-__
                          \   /~     ~~-_
                           ~~ -~~\       ~\
                            /     |        \
               ,           /     /          \
             //   _ _---~~~    //-_          \
           /  (/~~ )    _____/-__  ~-_       _-\             _________
         /  _-~\\0) ~~~~         ~~-_ \__--~~   `\  ___---~~~        /'