Re: [Amc-list] Rear Disc Brake Kit - The Street Rod Manufacturing Compan

Re: [Amc-list] Rear Disc Brake Kit - The Street Rod Manufacturing Company

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" I don't know what housing it's on, but using those calipers you can do much better by designing your own around 90's crown vic or other rotors already at 5 on 4.5" pattern.
"   By better I mean cost wise. What is axle protusion from the housing on AMC? It's 2.5" on a Ford 9" and 8.8". I'd probably try a set from a 96 up Exploder or possibly 95 up Jeep Grand Cherokee.
"   I haven't looked at bolt pattern differences yet. They bolt patterns are available on the net, I've seen them. You can get new Exploder discs from Ford motorsports complete for $350. They aren't vented, but rear brakes usually do fine unvented. intenral parking brakes too, instead of the ancient prone to trouble Parking brakes in the calipers setup.
"   Just thinking out loud...

the crown vic and exploder setups are known swaps among the '80s jeep
crowd.  the non-c-clip d35 and the late '80s d44 have the same housing
flange pattern as the amc20 and the ford 8.8.  rotors don't bolt
directly to the cj of course, but the xj and yj are 5x4.5".

the '91-up c-clip d35 has mopar housing ends.  you can swap the '94-8
grand chero rear disks to a cherokee 8.25" with very little work; you
can swap them to a cherokee d35 and even keep the abs if you also swap
axle shafts - same teves system but different sensors and tone rings.
dunno about rotor hat height and other mopar axles though.

'99-'04 grand disks are different, and the axle is too.  the housing
ends are probably still mopar...  wheel bolt circle is 5x5".  i'm
presently scheming how i can adapt them to my gf's cherokee.  the
whole axle won't swap and afaik the halfshafts won't either [unlike
the earlier grand], but if the calipers are mostly bolt-on i'm
thinking custom halfshafts from strange, moser, etc. identical to
stock xj axles but with a step for the wj abs tone ring and 5x5 lugs.
$300-400?  we could step up to an 8.25" axle and keep abs too.