[Amc-list] Re; Rebuilding my transmission and adding power brakes.

[Amc-list] Re; Rebuilding my transmission and adding power brakes.

Thomas

SNIP

Hello,

I want to add power brakes to my 1964 Rambler Classic 770

232 engine and auto transmission). A guy I met told me to

go to a junk yard, pick a car with power brakes and the

same amount of brake lines, and take the entire setup from

pedal to booster and with a little mfg, I could make it

fit and work. I see how this would theoretically be

possible,but it sounds TOO easy. Is there a better way to

do this or will doing this work just fine?

SNIP

It sounds as if the term "a guy I met" is about all of the

qualifications he has as an authority in this area. The

first realistic problem that I can see is the parts fitting

your car! I can just imagine the fun that you could have

trying to bolt up some obscure part from an Oldsmobile for

example to the holes drilled in the fire wall from a Rambler

and have the pedal be remotely located in an area where you

foot could reach it.

However if you were to find a 1963 or 1964 Rambler model

and maybe other closely related years a power brake pedal

assembly might just not only work, but fit the existing holes

in the fire wall and locate the brake pedal where your foot

can actually press it. As the brake lines would have to

reach the master cylinder relocated due to the power brake

booster some modifying might be in order but they too would

be available from a parts car too or from a Rambler or AMC

parts vendor.

YUP! TOO EASY is a good guess.

It would help you immensely to obtain a service manual for

your car. These are available and for this project alone

would probably save you the cost of the manual. You can

see what an example an AMC Technical Service Manual looks

like at the following location;

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service/Part1/A-B/browser.htm

This is not one for your car, but you will notice that

it does have the 232 cu in motor in it. You may be able

to find a manual for your car at one of the following

locations;

http://nashparts.com/

http://www.osborn-reproduction.com/

http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/

Or if not here one of the AMC Vendors listed at the following web site

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/

SNIP

 Also, though

I'm not sure it needs it, I'm going to rebuild

my transmission. It shifts rough at times, even after

adjusting it as some on here have suggested and the fluid

appears to be burnt. I know there are other things that

could be done to possibly help, but since I don't know

anything about how it was treated in the past, I figure I

should just have it rebuilt. A couple of things I'm

wondering about is first, how hard is it to rebuild

one of these? I looked into rebuilding a GM t-50 one

time, and when I bought the "How To" book and saw

what was involved, I decided against it. Though, I feel

comfortable rebuilding the engine, I'm not entirely certain

rebuilding the transmission is something a shade tree

mechanic should attempt. (Though I'm sure alot do)

SNIP

This is not a question that I can answer from a first

hand experience as I do not rebuild my own automatics

although you're correct, many people do however it is

something a service manual for your car can answer

completely. Part of the problem with this vintage AMC

car is the BorgWarner automatic transmission was not

known for it's reliability when they were new and 43

years later has not improved on the problem. You will

also have problem finding parts and someone to do the

rebuilding for you, but others on the AMC List can give

first hand experience and suggestions. An AMC or Rambler

service manual for your car will answer the rest of

your questions thus paying for itself in the process.

SNIP

Also, when buying a kit to rebuild, what should I look for?

Is there some type of casting numbers I need to match up

with the kit?

SNIP

See answer above!

SNIP

I have also thought about adding

an AC setup to this car and have wondered how much power loss

this would cause.

SNIP

These cars were sold with A/C but finding a donor will

probably be next to impossible. A guess on my part

will be that you MAY find a donor of a late 60's or early

to middle 70's AMC I-6 powered car (199/232/258) that will

supply a compressor and compressor mounting assembly

that will function on your car and fit and be able

to locate pulleys etc. that will work but you may have

to be a bit creative in order to do it. Even a middle

80's Eagle may work for you and supply you with a rotary

compressor that is more efficient and consumes less power

but unless you get really lucky the rest of the parts will

be impossible to locate so a true after market outfit

such as Vintage Air

 http://www.vintageair.com/

can supply part and probably kits to get the job done.

Plan a couple of grand for this one.

SNIP

 I am also going to add power steering to

it. I've got a pump and gear box that came off a 70's 232.

Will I have to change out the steering column to make this

work?

SNIP

This could be a bit tricky, As I remember Early Rambler power steering

did not use a steering box for the power assist, but a separate cylinder

mounted to the ty-rod to assist in moving it as the steering wheel

was turned. A service manual for your car will surely answer this one for

you too. And I am not sure what you would do for a steering column to

work for this arrangement but I would have to guess that without a donor

car it would get very interesting. But maybe not as you may be able

to adapt parts from say an early Ford that also used the same style of

power assist and may be more common for parts, but it would NOT be

any form of a bolt in.

Some of these conversions that you would like to do could be done

with creativity and serious scrounging for parts, once again a service

manual for your car would be very important to have!

Or they may be done very crudely with a BF Hammer and a cutting

torch.

So far though to do any combination of these ideas well a fairly

serious budget may be of primary importance. And well works! A 1964

is a good looking automobile and would bring a lot of attention

where ever you take it and the engine (a 232 cu in I-6) was used

in one form or another up through the end of production an then

in the Jeep for quite a few years after that both as a 258 cu in

engine and as a 4.0 variation with fuel injection although

the cylinder head was changed from a rocker arm shaft to stud

mount rockers about 1972 as was the bolt pattern to the bell

housing changed at the same time so a late (1972) engine will

not bolt up to an early 1971 and earlier transmission. Also assorted

accessory mounting holes changed too depending on the year. The

engine can be built to deliver more than adequate hp to move the

car around, The next street I-6 I am working on will be an AMC 232

but a 1973 variation of one.

Good Luck

John