[Amc-list] AMC/MOPAR Small block Lifters

[Amc-list] AMC/MOPAR Small block Lifters

SNIP
AMC TEAM,
Just to let you know, no one at Summit will own up to anything on my
broken motor. They firmly believe the lifters they are selling are
"right" for an AMC 360 and that I must have done something "wrong"
because the manufacturers have told them that consolidating the lifter
part numbers together (AMC and MOPAR) is OK.

I have placed the lifters next to each other for comparison. Yes, they
are the same shape, same dimensions and look like they should work. With
the solid top versus a top with an oiling hole, there is no way a hollow
pushrod is ever going to get any oil. Also the bands are in a different
place on the horizonal and what little oil they provided in the bore
wasn't nearly enough to do much good. Until my final bill at the machine
shop is tallied I don't really know what kind of claim from a dollars
standpoint to pursue. I am going to go ahead and re-pull the engine and
tranny out this weekend to make sure the bottom end is clean and debris
free. My valve guides were all but gone so the metal had to go
somewhere. Probably mostly in the pan and filter but who knows ?
SNIP

First if all, my 'Putor blew up two weeks ago, still not fully recovered.
Secondly the MOPAR Small block/AMC Lifter interchange is not new information
although it very well may be more of a problem now then when AMC was still
alive and not owned by Chrysler.

Small block MOPAR lifters have been used successfully in AMC engines and to
some extent visa versa but---------------with a nuance.
The oil hole in MOPAR small block is at a different location then the oil
hole in an AMC lifter and some times due to manufacturing tolerances or
differences they will interchange successfully. I have seen the same part
number used for both engines, and also different ones too.
The bottom line is that they must be checked before use as the problem has
been in existence for years and probably has gotten worse.
The sad thing is that us AMC guys have got to be on top of this and we
weren't apparently and now we are paying for it.
This includes when there is no oil hole at all applications.
I have built both I-6 and V8 engines but to be honest, I can not compare the
I-6 to the V8 lifter as I built them at different times. However every time
I install a cam and lifter combination I compare the new lifters to the old
ones to verify that I am not into the MOPAR/AMC lifter urban legend stories.
I use Iskenderian cam shaft products on everything that I build and have
never had a problem with the parts or application, nor when I have purchased
them over the counter but I have religiously compared them prior to use.
Most time I use CARQUEST as a parts source and I specifically specify AMC
applications.
Anyway, sorry to here some guys have had a bad experience, they ain't fun.
John