Re: [Amc-list] noisy after rebuild

I've had a hefty Crane cam in my AMX 390 in the past that only rotated the lifters a small amount back and forth so that it created a figure 8 looking mark on the bottom of the lifter.  I put 60K miles on that car and the motor was as strong when I sold it as it was when I first had it rebuilt with no cam or lifter wear despite the partial rotation and very head duty crane valve springs.

I would check to be sure to look that the lifter is indeed stationary and not just moving a small amount or rotating back and forth.

Regarding whether or not the lifters are bad, it is highly doubtful that more than one of them would be bad at the same time.  I would be more inclined to think that who ever you got the parts from may have given you the wrong ones.

Regards,
Dan Curtis
forum moderator for
www.amazingmusclecars.com