[Amc-list] OT: china rant [was: Anyone shop Harbor Freight?]

[Amc-list] OT: china rant [was: Anyone shop Harbor Freight?]

" From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I was always suspicious of the Chinese electrical stuff. Sooner or later
" they are going to have to improve just like the Japanese did in the late
" 70s, and early 80s. You can see the uprising occurring already, Americans
" are getting pissed at the Chinese for not keeping lead out of children's
" toys!!!!!!

i don't buy -anything- from china, insofar as i can help it,
especially things edible.  they've just demonstrated in the clearest
fashion that you can't expect them to observe our standards even when
it's a requirement for doing business in our market.

afaik they don't have any kind of cross-industrial regulatory
department like our fda, let alone an independent organization like
ul/csa - which i think would actually be illegal there.  they have a
tightly organized bureaucracy with all direction from the top down,
and organizations far down the chain can function in near invisibility
- until their products hit our fans, like the wheat supplier to the
american food processor.  when an anerican news agency finally
backtracked the trail to them, they did a little more work and
contacted a reporter in their local city's newspaper to get the local
slant on the story.  he hadn't heard anything about the supplier; such
is the nature of bureaucracy and industry over there.  he also added,
even if he had known anything he couldn't have written about it - the
govt allows only good news.  similarly, a wheat supplier on the other
side of china hadn't heard anything either, even though it had to do
with their commodity in their country.

i believe the bureaucrat that was tried and convicted was executed
more for publicly embarrassing the chinese govt than for poisoning
american pets or people.  i don't think they'll start producing
quality products until the govt decides quality products is the path
to world domination.  their goal now is foreign money, and clearly
they're doing anything they can get away with to get it.

how does that distinguish them from your average international
megacorp?  not much, except their internal secrecy is better.

on top of all that, money spent on chinese goods even more than most
any other pretty completely vanishes from the local economy.  money
spent locally comes back to you multiplied many times over.  sam
walton must be spinning in his grave about fast enough to set his
casket on fire.