[Amc-list] Restoring 1960 Rambler Cross Country Wagon

[Amc-list] Restoring 1960 Rambler Cross Country Wagon

This may amuse some of you AMCers.  The reason that I bought this  model was
that it was the first car that I owned when I was 16 (but that's a  long story
in itself).  I went to college in Flint MI and drove between  Flint and
Dayton OH many weekends.  I loved to drive fast, so much of  that was flat out at
nearly 100 mph (verified by the Michigan State Patrol  on one occasion).  My
Dad, who was an experienced mechanic, and I  did all the engine work except for
the machining.  After several  years, I rebuilt the carb one Saturday in Flint
and discovered  that Dad (in the interest of keeping me alive??) had replaced
the  original 2bbl carb for a 1bbl and then put a restrictor plate under
that.   I rebuilt and installed a 2bbl from a salvage yard and shared some good
laughs with Dad about it.  Before the 2bbl, I took it to the  drags and ran the
quarter in around 19 seconds and 60 mph.  LOL!!  What was my time after the
2bbl?  Uh... let me  just say that I never took it back again to find out.

Cheers,
Don McCready