Re: [Amc-list] 70 Donohues

I didn't take offense to Tom's rant, so no one else should. I understand
his frustrations, especially when the error is made by someone who is
reputed to be (or claims to be -- which is up to you) an AMC/Rambler
authority/expert. But the fact is everyone makes an occasional mistake.
Mine just seem to stand out more because of that mythical "guru" status.
;>     I said that partially in jest, but it is true -- if you're
reasonably accepted as somewhat of an authority on a subject your
mistakes will stand out where other's may not even be noted. It's a fact
I accept.

My only defense is I don't concentrate on only a few models and years,
and don't give any one model more consideration than another. When you
do that, like Tom does, it's much easier to keep all the little details
straight!

I'm interested in all AMCs. If I had to concentrate on something it
would be the 01 and 10 series lines (American/Hornet/Concord and
Rambler/Classic/Rebel/Matador). Why? Those are the most significant to
the company -- they sold in greater numbers than anything else. Without
those sales, nothing else would have been possible.

The thick wall 360s do indeed exist. They weren't in the Donohues
because AMc proved that it was a regular production item, no need for
homologation. The blocks were cast as "service replacement" (SR) blocks.
The idea was one block could be stocked by a dealer or warehouse and any
343-401 could be made from it with proper machine work. The only way to
identify it is by the casting number (same as a 71 401) and no
displacement cast into the side. The SR block is a 401 block with a 360
bore that can be bored out to 401 bore size, so yes, it is a thick
walled block IF left at the factory bore. Once bored to 390/401 sizes
it's simply another 390/401 block and not worth a penny more. The SR
blocks were also sold to racers who wanted a heavy duty 360. The only
way to tell if the block has been bored is to pull a head and measure
it. Some dealer built engine may have the displacement stamped on a pad
on the oil pan rail. I've seen one that had some kind of date code on
it, but not the standard AMC engine day build code. Probably a warranty
or invoice number??

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"