Re: [Amc-list] Brake non-systems, was Re: Sunday drives

Re: [Amc-list] Brake non-systems, was Re: Sunday drives

" Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:25:39 -0600
" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" I just checked an 81 TSM. Four cylinder Spirit/Concord had a 10.27"
" rotor, six cylinder a 10.80" (the most common), and all Eagles an
" 11.02". Different suppliers? That's almost a 3/4" difference from the
" Sprit/Concord four to the Eagle, but the Eagle calipers bolt to the
" steering knuckle (upright), not an adapter. So we're really just
" talking about the difference between 10.80" and 10.27" -- 0.53". That
" difference is split in two, so it's just a bit over 1/4" (0.265").
" Could be a different bracket or caliper, but I doubt it. The
" difference could easily be made up with a different pad using the
" larger diameter adapter and caliper. In fact, I'm pretty sure the
" caliper is the same. I don't have an 80s parts book to look up the
" adapter. I know the pads are different though.

just checked my napa books - calipers aren't listed, but 4 & 6 cyl
caliper rebuild parts are the same.  pads are different.

btw it shows the small bendix calipers '77-'81, with several different
rotors [large and small bearing] and the delco calipers with the same
small bearing 6-cyl and eagle rotors '82-up.

iirc the 4-cyl rotors are solid and the pads -really- thick.

btw these were made to work in 14" and even 13" iirc wheels, but the
eagle rotors were only used in deep-offset 15" and btw shared with
cherokees and wranglers to '89.  they were also designed for a drive
axle; 2wd jeeps could have either this disk on a separate hub or a
'unicast' rotor.