Re: [Amc-list] 81 kamback

" From: Brian Morrow <teamamc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have a 1995/1998  2.5 litre FI 4cly and 5 speed from a yj jeep.
" anybody know if this would be an easy swap into a 1981 SX/4.
" I do realize I would have to find a harness and computor.

i got a good look under the hood of a 4-cyl xj, and it seemed to me
that the motor mounts were pretty far forward, about where they'd be
on the 4.0...  if the car isn't a 4-cyl, you'll need 4-cyl front diff
mounts - there's no way to mount it to the block like it does on 6-cyl
eagles.

if the sx/4 is a stick, you could hook the engine to the original
tranny with either an '83-7 amc or cj, or '94-5 s-10 2.8 bellhousing.
it can also be found on 84-6 cherokees with the t5, both 4-cyl and 2.8.
as it is, the ax5 has a 21-spline output where the sx/4 t/c wants 23,
and no easy way to change either.  i don't know how hard it would be
to swap in another t/c.

if the sx/4 is an auto, a '95-8 4-cyl wrangler 30re would be the
ticket - it's an electronic version of the tf904 the sx/4 would have.
afaik by '95 4-cyl cherokees also had this tranny.  '87-'93 used an aw4
like the 4.0; '84-6 used a tf904.