Re: [Amc-list] Thoughts on the Kammback that's on Ebay right now?

I'm in agreement with you -- looks like a pretty solid car from the pics. Nothing stands out as undue wear for a 1981 car. The 2.5L four would be backed by an SR4 four speed -- something it's perfectly suited for. The 2.5L GM is known to make a bit of a ticking noise with a lot of miles on it. It's wear (lash) in the timing gears. If you replace them in 30-40K miles you'll have it again. I had one that did that, out over 100K on it before it was worn to the point the computer couldn't make up for wear (1987 Pontiac 6000 -- too much car for the motor, really!). Should be great for putting around though. I bet the car didn't sell before because it didn't meet reserve, and now the guy is relisting it. Looks like a $1500 car to me -- assuming all important things work or can be easily repaired. They aren't easy to find, and the four/four combo is really a pretty good one, not like the four/auto would be. Could easily be worth $2500 or so if you really want one.

----------------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:16:34 -0800
From: hydeparker@xxxxxxxxx

Anyone have thoughts on this '81 Kammback that's currently on Ebay?  It's auction # 280142400187. I do not live to far away (it's just over an hour from my house in Michigan) but unfortunately I cannot visit before the auction ends because I'm working in Chicago through the week.

This car was listed last week and I bid, but then the auction ended early.  But now it's back up again, and I wonder if the winner backed out due to something weird.

Yes, I know it has the iron duke that people dislike, but other than that, anyone see obvious problems?  The ad mentions some rust in the rockers, but all in all it looks pretty solid to me. And the front bumper end looks busted out.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"