Re: [Amc-list] Engine Break in - Synthetic Oil

Re: [Amc-list] Engine Break in - Synthetic Oil

During break in, there are two main parts that need time to seat. The
first is the camshaft (running the engine about 1500 RPM for 20 minutes
does that and the reason for the higher RPM is to make sure the lifters
rotate) and the piston rings. The card that came with the piston rings
in the engine for my 68 American (they are Sealed Power rings -- hardly
anything exotic) said that if the cylinders are finished a certain way,
the rings will seat in the first 10-15 minutes of run time. If they
don't, you have to refinish the cylinders and replace the rings. I know
that Mobil One has said that you can use it's oil for break in and it
will not interfere with the process but as was previously pointed out,
it doesn't make sense economically.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx