Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 22:36:53 Thomas Garner wrote:

> When I first got it, carb was adjusted
> so hi, it gave me whiplash when I put it in gear. It seemed to shift hard
> but solid. Fixed that with the little cable from tranny to carb. Kind of
> like a kick down cable, but I don't think it's the same. If I start in 1st
> gear, it shifts hard to 2nd then it winds up higher than I expect it to and
> then shifts to 3rd, until it warms up, then it tends to shift ok from 2nd
> to 3rd. 1st to 2nd ALWAYS shifts hard. (I normally just start off in D2)

Hmm... better fix that. There's two parts to your problem there -- idle speed
and shifting.

Idle speed is set at the carb, same way auto or manual trans. In neutral/park,
you set the idle speed to 'what the book says' or what your butt says (I like
my idle a bit low). There's hot idle, and cold idle. Cold involves the choke
setting and all that. For now I'll assume your car is all warmed up and at
hot idle speed.

THEN you adjust the transmission shift cable. If you drive for long with that
cable adjusted wrong, you'll wear out that little transmission.

You MUST HAVE a technical service manual for that car! Buy one on eBay if you
don't ahve one!!! It's mandatory, really. Even experienced pro mechanics
won't know how to work on that thing.

The trans cable adjustment is fairly easy. With the idle speed set right at
the carb, and the car warmed up, car off, in park. You take the pin out of
the clevis (fork jobbie on the cable end), push the cable in til it stops
(push the cable slack in) then rotate the clevis (adjusting its length) until
the pin *just fits* loosely in the clevis and carb linkage. THEN rotate the
clevis two turns "longer".

Don't do that, excessive transmission wear. $1200. Ka-ching!