Re: [Amc-list] Synthetic vs Conventional

Re: [Amc-list] Synthetic vs Conventional

My 2 cents:
Don't fall into the trap about extended life.  The synthetic oil does
last longer, but that's only one of the two reasons you change your
oil.  The other is to remove crud that the oil collects, like exhaust
products which get past the rings.  No matter which type of oil you use,
you have to change it often if you want a long lived engine!

Engine break in: There's been a lot of stuff written about using
conventional oil during the break in period.  The counter point is that
some of the most exotic motors come with synthetic from the factory...
Personally, I believe it makes some economic sense to use conventional
for the first couple of changes, when you're changing it on really short
intervals, but if you've money to burn, I see no reason you couldn't use
synthetic from day one.

Up here in the frozen north, the improved flow and "wetness" of cold
synthetics can pay big dividends in cold starts!

For you desert types, the better high temperature performance helps on
those scorchers!

Is it worth the extra coin?  In my opinion, for highly stressed motors
(ie high HP, turbos, engines that are run at high rpms, towing etc),
yes, no doubt!  for low stress motors, like a 258 that will never see
the far side of 3000 rpm, maybe not.  But having said that, all of my
car's are running it!  (of course my AMX's 390 is the slow turner of the
bunch, with the rev limiter set to 6000....)

Cheers,
Dave