Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic

Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic

If the car had the old 195.6 (often called a 196 for short, and I'll
call it that from now on), I'd say he's close to right. The 232 would do
a bit better -- that car should be able to top out closer to 90 mph.
What transmission do you have? Is it an auto or a stick?  If it's a
stick, does it have a handle under the dash on the right that has
"OVERDRIVE" on it? My guess at this point is that it's either an auto
with a slipping transmission or it's an overdrive that isn't working
correctly.  I can help troubleshoot the OD, but the auto will have to be
serviced, or maybe rebuilt. So let's hit this one thing at a time --
first off is the transmission type and miles on the car (I don't recall
seeing either, but...). A tired engine and transmission would be a
killer combo as far as speed is concerned.

In regards to your other message -- send to just me or the list:
I sent this to the list also. If you think others can help with the
problem or would be interested in hearing about the fix, reply to the
list. You can include my address on another line if you want to make
sure I see the message. If you think a message isn't of much general
interest, then reply to me only.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"